Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Glasgow Libraries Home Library Service is more than a book delivery service, it is a lifeline. Friendly and trusted volunteers represent a welcome contact with the outside world and can actively help combat isolation and loneliness. Volunteers bring the joy of reading and helpful information on other important aspects of Glasgow Life services to the homes of those unable to visit a library.
- visit the library to select library materials
- travel in pairs to customers’ homes
- have a chat with customers and note feedback on the books etc. brought previously
- bring materials on loan back to the library & note feedback on their profile sheet at the library
- help make customers aware of other suitable Glasgow Life services and opportunities
- good listening and communication skills.
- non-judgmental approach.
- understanding and application of appropriate boundaries as per training.
- interest in reading and wellbeing issues.
Volunteers will normally be allocated to a specific library and local area. Volunteers are responsible for their own transport. Reasonable volunteer expenses, such as travel, will be reimbursed. Full information will be provided at training.
Please note that for these specific volunteering positions, personal references, interviews and a current PVG disclosure will be required.